Monday, June 20, 2011

#blogjune Day 19: In which I do a catch up post

So yesterday's blog didn't happen. Moop.

Here is a catch up post.

Some linky love:

Random Romance Novel Title Generator (thanks to @seanfish) - my current fave "The Scottish Vampire's Insatiable Nurse"

Which makes me think of two things.

1. Romance novels are always better when they involve men in kilts, preferably with an accent. ;-)

2. A lesson I learned back in the dark ages when I worked part time at a public library.. one should not judge a book by it's cover.  We had a regular customer who would come in every weekend to borrow a handful of Mills & Boon romances. In my rather immature,Improving Librarian state I looked down my nose at this predilection.  I imagined this elderly lady sitting in her flat salivating over the racy bits.  One day I decided to be helpful and nicely suggested some other books I thought she would like.  She listened to my suggestions and agreed that they sounded interesting.  Then she said, a little apologetically, "I get these because I can't sleep at night and they don't require any brain interaction on my part.  They help me get through the night and back to sleep."  Oh my, I felt about 2 mm tall.  So after that I had to revise my opinionated attitudes.  People read what they read for many reasons and it is okay.  I still make suggestions to people, especially if they ask, but I no longer put on that Improving Librarian hat and look down upon people's choices of reading matter. While I mightn't like their choice, it's not up to me to make that snobby judgement call.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your library book recommendations on here as some of your reviews would interest me to try a new author and get me out of my comfort zone. I like recommendations from people and most I will read and discover new faves.

    I had a chat about the Mills and Boons reader with a librarian friend and said they are so popular with people....

    I must admit I did wonder what librarian thought about customers reading material

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:15 pm

    I read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series where men in kilts abound. I too admit to a fondness for men in kilts with an accent :)
    I used to have a borrower who would come in eagerly awaiting the latest Mills and Boon sweet romances. She was an honours student in chemical engineering at the local uni, and read them to relax her brain. Books are good brain food, but sometimes they need to be comfort food too.
    And with that in mind I'm off to write my offering to M&B "The Greek Desperado's Depraved Feminist"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mills & Boon experience rang a bell with me, it was almost the exact same experience and reaction I had as a young librarian

    ReplyDelete