Monday, June 07, 2010

Winter garden

Not much is happening in the garden right now except for weeds.  I have some parsnip seedlings that need to go in, but that means I need to pull out the weeds!

Mac the nut tree has some nuts though.

We have two macadamic nut trees.  They are still small but this older one produces more nuts than we can really cope with.  According to teh interwebs you have to dry them with husk removed and then roast them in their shell for a while and then crack them and roast again.  It's such a drama to do it that we've yet to complete an entire cycle of it.  I have a small nutcracker that works on a screw basis to crack them - you have to do them 1 by 1.  Which isn't really an option for someone like me with little patience.

Actually we wanted to plant a walnut tree until we read they don't really fruit until they are 50 years old. Which seemed a long time to wait. Pity.  I like coffee walnut cake. Instead I order walnuts from Naturally Organic because I can trust them not to be old and rancid. Unlike the ones in the bulk bins at Pak N Save.


My herb garden is currently bursting with chervil.


I use chervil in mushroom soup and also in egg dishes like omlettes. It is also quite nice with carrots.  Chervil is really easy to grow from seed.  In fact, it has self seeded into the lawn around the garden which makes for a nice herby smell when you mow.


In Auckland, the milder winter means citrus is also available in winter. We have a mandarin and a lemon tree.  The mandarin had only a dozen or so fruit on it this year, but they were good sized ones.  It's still a young tree and seems to have on/off years.  My lemon is currently in a pot.  I've not have too much luck with my lemon trees but this one is doing quite well. I use a lot of lemons.

10 comments:

  1. That cake looks absolutely delish. The chervil however looks lovely and I'll keep it mind next time I'm buying groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks so lush and green. I am embarrassed about mine because I am not a gardener but I love gardens. I would like to have a garden makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 pm

    don't have much luck with lemons either, not sure why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macadamic nut trees!!!! Are they old trees? How long does it take to fruit? I don't think I will have enough space for A tree at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lemons look good. i only had two on my tree. I believe I must water it more and clear out the grass around the bottom and... hopelessly i haz 'brown thumbs'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My lemon tree was planted last Christmas. Seems to be doing ok but sure won't be fruiting in winter here in Melb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are still pulling out weeds and kukuya whenever we can. gosh, they're growing so fast since we last attended it. now, it is time to prepare another episode for next summer. we still hv some feijoas and citrus trees promising for more winter feasts. so happy to see your garden is still giving away all the goodness :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Macadamias. I hear you about the processing. We have a terribly productive olive tree, but that is where the productivity ends with it - at the tree. I'm the only olive eater in the family so all the faffing about to preserve the olives isn't worth it for the amount that would be preserved. A neighbour harvested all the olives in our suburb last year and we got about 250ml of olive oil in return. That was nice.

    Your garden looks so lush and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous of your fruit and nut trees! I wanted to plant a pecan tree, but apparently they also take 50+ years to start producing nuts... bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay is it wrong to drool at your coffee walnut cake? I didn't realise that macadamia nut trees were so high maintanance lol

    ReplyDelete