Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 13: Travel Meme

 To everyone who responded to my last post - THANK you. I appreciate it more than you can know.  I'm going to see what the school is doing (Thursday) and then I may be talking to some of you in more detail depending on what they say...
But thanks. *lump in throat and tears in eyes*  This is all new territory for me.

1. What country and/or state do you live in? Auckland, New Zealand

2. What was the last country you visited other than your own (or that you want to if you haven’t been out of your country? Australia - for a library conference.


3. What is your favorite kind of trip (i.e. camping, laying on the beach, cruise, etc.)? Not sure.  I like a number of kinds.  Road trips can be fun if not rushed, lying about camping beside the beach is good. But no, not cruising - not my scene.  I like visiting new places and especially National Parks and other nature related places. I also like food related touring. Shopping I can take or leave, mostly because I can't afford it.

4.What is the farthest location south that you have gone? Mossburn (well, we drove through it to get to Te Anau. I got my first speeding ticket coming back the other way nearby. >_<
View Larger Map  One day I will get to Stewart Island.  DH would love to go to the Auckland Islands but the cost of getting there is more than we can consider.

5. What is the farthest location north that you have gone? Findochty in Scotland. It was flippin' cold.
View Larger Map

6. What is our preferred mode of transportation when traveling long distances? In terms of practicality, planes are difficult to beat especially when you live in New Zealand and the rest of the world is too far away to swim. I do like trains though.  If I was in Europe, trains would have a lot of attraction.

7. What kind of vehicle do you own or would like to own? I own a Mitsubishi Lancer. It's old and needs to be replaced. DH wants us to get an SUV of some kind so we can go on holidays easier. I'd be keen on a hybrid version or one that used something other than fossil fuel.

8. What is your ideal destination? I have so many places I'd like to visit. India, Italy and France are the top on my list. Some of the US would be interesting too.  I was saving to go on an OE with my sister when I met DH.  My sister went on the OE and I got married.

9. Who is your favorite travel companion? My family

10. What is the largest city you have visited? It would be a competition between London and Amsterdam.  I started school in London here.

11. What destination would you recommend to a friend? Milford Sound, New Zealand.  It's beautiful. The sandflies are incredible. Stay overnight in the lodge there... so much nicer when the hoardes of tourists leave.

12. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Here. This is my land, this is where my roots are. Ko Puketapapa te maunga (my mountain is Mt Roskill, the area where I grew up), I identify with the Auckland region particularly West Auckland.  I feel most comfortable here.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy that to get to Auckalnd Islands is so expensive, while I understand that, it's crazy you can go overseas at a cheaper cost.

    Ouch at the speeding ticket but I love how you can still remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank ye for that - I regret that I am yet to visit the Sound, or do any tramping in NZ. I hope to change the tramping bit at least when I'm in NZ for the next LIANZA.

    ReplyDelete