Saturday, April 05, 2008

sketch challenge

This one is for the Paper Pesto sketch challenge. Actually it could go into the NZ Dare 42 too, but I'm not sure if I can enter 2 competitions with one layout!

The sketch was so nice to work with :)

The journalling reads:
When I was in Standard 3 and 4 we had an inter-school concert where all the choirs joined together. For this one we had to dress up as the theme was songs from around the world. I wore a fake kimono. Then in 1985 I got to try on a genuine kimono which belonged to a Japanese friend.

These photos bring back good memories for me. I might write more on the back of the layout.

The concert was exhilarating because I love to sing, and especially in a choir. I still can remember most of the songs we sang at this particular concert. My friend Michelle (from this LO) is the other girl in the photo.

The other photo was taken when we lived in Germany for a year. My Dad was doing a 12 month sabbatical at the Max Planck Institute in a small town called Bad Nauheim. Those were the days when the university let you do this! This time was a struggle for me. I was at that awkward age when puberty mucks around with your emotions and your body, and I was far, far away from anybody I considered "best friend". But this day I did feel special. I was the right size to wear this adult kimono and it felt so luxurious. I grew about 3 cm that year and the height combined with all the other "stuff" happening meant most of my wardrobe was too small, too tight, too babyish etc etc. My mum had dreadful trouble trying to get clothes for me and I ended up with a lot of hand me downs. Luckily kimono are very forgiving!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 pm

    Hi Penny, this is gorgeous, I love that background paper! I remember having something similar when I was in primary school and wore chopsticks in my hair, and my chinese style pajama's! Thanks for taking part in our challenge, I'll pop you in the draw. xx Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your layouts are really lovely and isn't it great getting some of those old memories down? I'm enjoying looking back at my photos but scared how many details I've already forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that background paper too. V nice. My singing experience I remember was at high school - haiwian dancing & singing ... I got chosen by default cause I had long hair ... wrong colour though!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout Penny! Love the kimono... looks so gorgeous.

    I'm having the same problem with 'orange' photos too... have to admit that I tend to just print them in black and white... lazy eh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and memories. I too love to sing and sang for years in choirs (including competition ones). I don't sing much now (except in the car) but whenever I'm at a funeral I always sing out loud as I think it's the last final gift I can give someone. (Sounds weird, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:57 am

    I agree what a gerat way to get down some of these memories....lopve the pattern paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty layout. Thanks for sharing your special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome to wear a real kimono! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:05 pm

    What a gorgeous LO Penny! Loved the other one ( prior post)too, so neat to remember childhood memories and how intriguing for us to read about them too!

    ReplyDelete