Tuesday, March 04, 2008

February Reading Round Up

Books

A 1000 splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini
Brilliant. Loved it. Better than The Kite runner IMO - not so gloomy.

Aerie by Mercedes Lackey
Predictable good versus evil. I used to enjoy her stuff but now I find them a bit pedestrian. Good "clean" fantasy though.

The Silent Frontier by Peter Watt
Historical fiction, coming of age type story. Read it mainly because I've read his others in the series and this one is set partially in NZ during the NZ Wars. Sparked my interest in the NZ Wars. It's an okay book - nothing too original but a good yarn.

Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder
Very much enjoyed this one. Fantasy genre and with a slightly different set of characters and "powers". Good fun! Strong heroine and interesting setting.

On the run by Iris Johansen
Entirely predictable thriller that I nearly didn't bother to finish.

The impressionist by Hari Kunzri
Loved this one. Another coming of age type story set in India (and Britain) during the time of Britain's rule. Main character is bought up as Indian but discovers he is actually and Anglo-indian. Rejected by his family he has to make his own way and find his own sort of identity. Some amusing characters and situations, and an intriguing look at the type of people in each country during this time. A surprising sort of ending but not unsatisfactory.

Layouts completed
Two 12x12
Thirty-two 6x6 for SCKC

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for these great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm totally impressed by and jealous of how much you have read in a month. I love to read, but I have yet to find a way to carve out the time since DD came along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing about 1000 Splendid Suns vs Kite Runner. I loved Kite Runner until the very ending which was one of the worst endings I think I've ever read. It was almost like his editor told him he had 1 day to finish and the last 5 pages was all he could come up with. It didn't quite ruin Kite Runner for me, but close. 1000 Splendid Suns had such a more gradual and fitting ending.

    We seem to have similar taste in books. If you haven't read it yet, get Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and read is ASAP. It is my new #1 favorite book. I might actually read it again. There are going to make a movie of it, but DON'T look up who will be in it as I'm really questioning the casting of the main role and it might ruin how you picture that character if you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, one more thing...if you do get Shantaram, don't be put off by how long it is (1000+ pages) and stick with it until you are 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way in. It is worth it and some questionable feelings in the beginning are the only semi-negative response I've gotten so far to others I've recommended it to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I also enjoyed 1000 suns

    ReplyDelete