Monday, June 09, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


Ugh - last week I didn't get to post my menu plan and it all got mucked around anyway. The fortnightly shopping experiment is turning out to be a bit tricky because I find myself running out of things unexpectedly (e.g. balsamic vinegar) and I dislike waiting 2 weeks to get them again.

But I'm not giving up. I think these kinks can be ironed out with time.

Monday - hamburgers plus the normal fixings & oven baked wedges
Tuesday - Lemon and rosemary chicken (a Julie Buiso recipe), fettucine, kale from the garden.
Wednesday - Lentil soup and vegetable gougere
Thursday - Hannah's Lamb Shanks, mashed tatoes, steamed broccoli
Friday - Merguez* sausage, couscous, spinach
Saturday - Roast chicken plus the usual accompaniments
Sunday - my "can't-be-bothered-meal" of whole grain pancakes (from Kristen), bacon and some sort of vege

* I have found an awesome butcher who makes sausages in house and they are delicious. Proper sausages not these weird meat-flavoured bread ones, or those other that say it's 75% meat... but you don't know what sort of dodgy "meat" product is included. The butcher is the Westmere Butcher (131 West End Rd, Westmere, ph 376-5954) in Auckland. I can recommend their pork and fennel, and Toulouse sausages. Going to try their Merguez this week.

I'm having dreadful cravings for winter desserts - rice pudding, chocolate self-saucing puddings, pies, apple and rhubarb crumble... you know the sort. Nigella has a raspberry chocolate pudding cake I'm going to try this week. I'm also going to poach some pears in wine some time too.

I'm trying to resist the cravings because I have a mere 3 kgs to go and I'll be into my goal weight range! My motivation is on the wane though so any advice on how to keep that going would be welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 pm

    Let me know what you think of the shanks ... I hope you'll enjoy them!
    The rest of your weekly menu looks great. I'll come for dinner every night, if that's okay. LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta get my menu up today also. Those are yummy, yummy pancakes! We eat them at least twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:57 pm

    I shop fortnightly for groceries and do a weekly market run for fruit and veg. It does take a bit of getting used to and I tend to stock up on things on special. This helps save money and also helps make sure we don't run out mid shopping cycle.

    ReplyDelete