Monday, November 12, 2007

Menu Plan Monday


This is working quite well for me actually...



Monday - Steak sandwiches
Tuesday - Lamb meatballs with Pinenuts in Tomato Sauce
Wednesday - Fish (homemade crumbed and oven baked) & chips (oven baked wedges), salad
Thursday - roasted chicken legs, ratatouille, salad
Friday - Gnocchi of some sort
Saturday - Tagine of lamb with apricots, couscous, carrot salad with garlic and mint
Sunday - Stirfry beef and veges, rice

Can you tell I've borrowed Claudia Roden's Arabesque: a taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon from the library?

The Spring Broth from Healthy Food Guide (November 2007) pg. 49 I made last week was very good. Have included recipe here:

Spring Broth of chicken, asparagus and basil sauce

Serves 4
2 cups chicken or vege stock (good quality)
2 medium carrots thinly sliced
2 chicken breasts, skin removed and sliced into bite sized pieces
2 T olive oil
Fresh basil - 1 handful, shredded
1 T lemon juice
1 bunch asparagus, sliced
1 x 400g can butter beans
1 cup baby peas, frozen or fresh

Put the stock and carrots in a pan and bring to boil. Add chicken, cover and simmer for 6-8 mins until carrots are tender.

Put the oil, basil and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well. (I used a whizzy choppy thing).

Add asparagus, beans and peas to the soup. Cover and bring back to boil. Simmer 1-2 mins.

Remove half the mixture and blend, then tip back into the pan. Divide into bowls and stir in some basil sauce into each.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Penny! Do you cook every night? I do not have the strength or energy and I've only got the one kid. How do you do it?? I usually cook on Mon. night, leftovers on Tues., dinner at church on Wed., cook on Thurs. (sometimes leftovers on Sat.), then I'm done for the week. I love to cook, but it's just gone by the wayside lately. Maybe I'll get some inspiration from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I haven't made tagine for a while - maybe I will try. The soup sounded good until you got to the peas. There is no good reason in the world to add peas to ANYTHING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Jenny I do cook every night.:-) Eating out is a treat around here because of the expense. But in truth I do like to cook. Most of what I make is not hard though I do like to do some interesting things each week. For e.g. steak sandwiches, fish & chips, and stir fry aren't hard to do but gnocchi will take me an afternoon to prepare. But that is OK - it's a therapeutic exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 pm

    ymu I want to come to your place for dinner!!! I am liking this weeks menu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tummy is so growling now.... yum!!! :)

    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You've got some fantastic recipes! I wish that I cold cook all the time like this! This is crazy amazing! I'm going to try your gnocchi recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It´s Monday and I feel tired anyway. I was looking for inspiration so I visit your blog. I really enjoy looking at others work. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:52 am

    Ok I'm booking myself in for dinner, Wed, Thursday and Sunday ;p
    Reckon I should copy that recipe, sounds like something Rainer would go gaga over 0.o

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, Penny, you put me to shame, I'm shocking at dinners. Well, truth be told, it's the rest of the family, who don't like to experiment, so we end up eating the same old things. I like it when hubby goes away for the night, and I make the kids try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a week of terrific recipes. Can we stop by for dinner?
    Happy Veteran's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:39 pm

    Super yummy menu...I'll be back next week for more great dinner ideas!

    ReplyDelete