Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Whitcoulls Top 100 List

CW blogged about Angus & Robertson's top 100 list, I thought I'd do Whitcoulls...
The ones in bold I have read.

  1. Lord of the rings / JRR Tolkien
  2. My sister's keeper / Jodi Picoult
  3. Pride and prejudice / Jane Austen (a favourite)
  4. Cross stitch / Diana Gabaldon
  5. Harry Potter & the dealthy hallows / JK Rowling
  6. The bronze horseman / Paullina Simons
  7. The Da Vinci code / Dan Brown
  8. The power of one / Bryce Courtenay
  9. The pillars of the earth / Ken Follet
  10. The other Boleyn girl / Phillipa Gregory
  11. The lovely bones: a novel / Alice Sebold
  12. To kill a mocking bird / Harper Lee (ages ago, should read it again)
  13. The kite runner / Khaled Hosseini
  14. The time traveler's wife / Audrey Niffenegger
  15. Holy Bible (try to read something everyday)
  16. The hobbit / J R R Tolkien
  17. Magician / Raymond Feist
  18. The clan of the cave bear / Jean M Auel
  19. Nineteen minutes / Jodi Piccoult
  20. Gone with the wind / Margaret Mitchell (think Scarlett is a whinging female dog)
  21. Angels and Demons / Dan Brown
  22. Harry Potter and the half-blood prince / J K Rowling
  23. The Poisonwood bible / Barbara Kingsolver
  24. Into the wilderness / Sara Donati
  25. A thousand splendid suns / Khaled Hosseini
  26. Life of Pi / Yann Martel
  27. Memoirs of a geisha / Arthur Golden
  28. Jessica / Bryce Courtenay
  29. Birdsong / Sebastian Faulks
  30. Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone / J K Rowling
  31. Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix / J K Rowling
  32. A fine balance / Rohinton Mistry
  33. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe / C S Lewis
  34. Jane Eyre / Charlotte Bronte
  35. Rachel's holiday / Marian Keyes
  36. The memory keeper's daughter / Kim Edwards
  37. Shantaram: a novel / Gregory Roberts
  38. Pact: a love story / Jodi Picoult
  39. Tea Rose / Jennifer Donnelly
  40. Change of heart / Jodi Picoult
  41. Angela's ashes / Frank McCourt
  42. Mister Pip / Lloyd Jones
  43. The girl in Times Square / Paullina Simons
  44. Twilight / Stephanie Meyer
  45. This charming man / Marian Keyes
  46. Wuthering heights / Emily Bronte (I tried, I really did)
  47. River God / Wilbur Smith
  48. The Persimmon Tree / Bryce Courtenay
  49. World without end / Ken Follet
  50. Dune / Frank Herbert
  51. Wild Swans: three daughters of China / Jung Chang
  52. April Fools Day / Bryce Courtenay
  53. Atonement / Ian McEwan
  54. The bone garden / Tess Gerritsen
  55. The alchemist / Paulo Coelho
  56. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire / J K Rowling
  57. Harry Potter and the prisoner of Askaban / J K Rowling
  58. Sushi for beginners / Marian Keyes
  59. The curious incident of the don in the night-time / Mark Haddon
  60. Catcher in the rye / J D Salinger
  61. I know this much is true / Wally Lamb
  62. Eragon / Christopher Paolini
  63. Tomorrow with the war began / John Marsden
  64. Northern lights / Philip Pullman
  65. Captain Corelli's mandolin / Louis De Bernieres
  66. Kane and Abel / Jeffrey Archer
  67. Tully / Paullina Simons
  68. Catch -22 / Joseph Heller
  69. No. 1 ladies detective agency / Alexander McCall Smith
  70. Watermelon / Marian Keyes
  71. We need to talk about Kevin / Lionel Shriver
  72. Anybody out there / Marian Keyes
  73. Chocolat / Joanne Harris
  74. Winter Rose / Jennifer Donnelly
  75. Denniston Rose / Jenny Pattrick
  76. Killing Floor / Lee Child
  77. A really short history of nearly everything / Bill Bryson
  78. Anne of Green Gables / L M Montgomery
  79. Nothing to lose / Lee Child
  80. The secret / Rhonda Byrne
  81. The book thief/ Markus Zusak
  82. Galaxy / Douglas Adams
  83. The stand / Stephen King
  84. Edmonds Cookery Book / Edmonds (this woman has made it her mission to cook everything in a 40 year old Edmond's Cookbook during a year)
  85. The potato factory / Bryce Courtenay
  86. Lucy Sullivan is getting married / Marian Keyes
  87. The vinter's luck / Elizabeth Knox
  88. The red tent / Anita Diamant
  89. Bridget Jone's diary: a novel / Helen Fielding
  90. The Penguin history of New Zealand / Michael King
  91. London / Edward Rutherford
  92. The god of small things / Arundhati Roy
  93. The shipping news / Annie E Proulx
  94. Four fires / Bryce Courtenay
  95. Mao's last dancer / Li Gunxin
  96. Last chance saloon / Marian Keyes
  97. Plain truth / Jodi Picoult
  98. Perfume: the story of a murderer / Patrick Suskind
  99. The Thorn birds / Colleen McCullough
  100. The notebook / Nicholas Sparks
Hmmm... just under half of them I've read. Some I'd like to read some time. Others I am unlikely to even attempt! Like the horror ones. I'm not into that genre.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:50 pm

    I enjoyed notebook and Perfume actually quite a few of your no reads I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I counted 43 but some of the MArian Keyes (and a few others) I can't remember if I've read them or not. I only remember when I read the blurb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:21 pm

    gosh I've only read 10 of those books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:19 pm

    You have read more than me, Penny. I can recommend the Lee Child books, if you enjoy thrillers (not horror, just full of twists & turns). I have read (and own) every single one of his novels. I've also read both the Dan Brown ones (and his 2 others that aren't on that list - Digital Fortress and Deception Point) and thought they were pretty good. I tend to find an author I like and stick with him/her for a long time - in case you can't tell, ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    I just came across your blog (I'm a huge Marian Keyes fan and see you've read a lot of her stuff!) I was wondering if you had a moment and wouldn't mind checking out my website at www.sarahpekkanen.com
    I'd love to hear what you think. I'm a brand-new author who just signed a publishing contract with the same house as Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner.
    If you like my website, I'd love it if you'd sign up for my private monthly email list in the box on my homepage. That way, I can send you my first chapter when it's through the editing process to see what you think (I love to get reader's opinions, not just reviewers!)
    Take care,
    Sarah
    www.sarahpekkanen.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking at the Dymocks list the other day and wandering how many you might of read of those. :) Quite a few I bet.


    Only 26 for me off this particular list, which is interesting because I read HEAPS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read about 35 of them. You simply have to read Wild Swans by Jung Chang. The first time I read it I struggled but the second time I couldn't put it down. I had the privilege of hearing Jung Chang speak a few years ago at a Writers and Readers festival. She was this little thing who packed out the Michael Fowler Centre in Wgtn and got a standing ovation at the end of her talk. It was magic.

    ReplyDelete