Monday, February 11, 2008

January Reading Round Up

CW did a year old round up of her reading for 2007, so I decided to keep track of the titles I read by month - just because.

January Reading Round Up

My "junk food" reading:
Slow Burn by Julie Garwood
+ another Julie Garwood whose title I've forgotten

Other titles:
The year of eating dangerously by Tom Parker-Bowles
I enjoyed this one. Not quite as funny as I thought it was going to be but still very entertaining. Basically TP-B goes around the world trying all kinds of strange and/or scary eats. The chapter on chillies was especially interesting to me having a chilli-head for a husband. Plus you've got to admire a guy who will willingly eat bugs.

In the tenth house by Laura Dietz
A chance encounter between an early psychiatrist and a so-called "medium" who may or may not have powers sparks an obsessive chase on the part of the psychiatrist to prove her a fraud. This was a good read but I felt some of the deeper things the writer was hinting at went over my head a bit. I wanted to know more about the "mad" people the protagonist was treating but it wasn't the focus of the story. A twisty ending.

The mercy seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease
The sequel to The Illuminator. Set in the 14th century and deals with the persecution of the followers of Wycliffe by the Catholic church. The relationship between the 2 main characters is defined by this setting. Very much enjoyed this one and wished I'd read the first one before hand!

The persimmon tree by Bryce Courtney
Okay - I admit my plebeian tendencies and will say I did enjoy this book despite the predictability of the plot. Set in Java and Australia, the 2 main characters meet briefly, fall in love and then are separated by the invasion of the Japanese in the Pacific. The story then details their separate lives until they can meet again, but this time with all the baggage that each one brings to the relationship. Like I say, the plot is a bit predictable and you have to suspend your disbelief in some places but all the same... a great yarn.

Number of layouts completed: 11

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 pm

    oh now that an interesting list and I must say a brillant idea. I made a wee book to list the books I read this year.

    So here is my list:
    The organised and inspired scrapbooker - W Smedley and A Garvey
    Re read Speed Cleaning - S Lush and J Fleming.
    Re read Pillars of the Earth, so I could start on the sequal. K Follett
    A thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

    Layouts for the month (31)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:29 pm

    A book list , I always thought I should make one and am always too slack for it, so at times in the library I am unsure wether I read a book before or not;p OK OK admittingly lots is fantasy, but I just love reading that before I go to bed;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, im reviewing again for the waikato times so my list has become quite varied!..i know you will come up with something great for the dare :)

    ReplyDelete