Friday, June 29, 2007

World Breast Feeding Week

Thanks to Amy's blog I discovered it's World Breastfeeding Week in August.

Here's a quote about it:

What is World Breastfeeding Week?

World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is August 1st – 7th and celebrates the signing of the Innocenti Declaration** on the Protection, Promotion and Support of Breastfeeding. It is celebrated in 120 countries on various dates.

* According to WABA, "Initiation of breastfeeding within the 1st hour of birth is the first and most vital step towards reducing infant and under-five mortality, by reducing the overwhelmingly high neonatal mortality rate."

** The Innocenti Declaration was produced and adopted in 1990 by participants at the WHO/UNICEF meeting on “Breastfeeding in the 1990s: A Global Initiative.” The document lists the benefits of breastfeeding, plus global and governmental goals.


I've been fortunate that both my kids have been able to benefit from good ole human milk. For me it is as much about convenience as the Good Things that are in breast milk. Learning to breast feed was difficult at the beginning and it took me about 6 weeks before I felt confident with it when DS was born. Luckily for me DD has been really easy to feed, and apart from a couple of blocked ducts I've had no trouble this time.

I know that breastfeeding isn't always possible and I don't think that formula is Evil Food from the Dark Side. But if someone asked my advice about the choice I would strongly advocate breast feeding.

Amy has a photo contest going to celebrate WBW if you'd like to enter.

Where is the strangest place you've breast fed? I think for me it would be at the lookout at Waiere Falls down near Te Aroha. We'd just walked to the lookout so DH could take some photos and DS decided he was hungry.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:17 pm

    I'm a big supporter of breastfeeding too, and I think World Breastfeeding Week is great! I was fortunate to be able to feed my boys for 12 and 15 months, respectively. Of course I also agree that formula is not evil and acknowledge the fact that not all mothers can breastfeed. But if you can, it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fed both of my boys for 12 months or so - far too lazy to clean bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:50 am

    I'm a huge supporter of breasteeding too. We had it rough going the first couple of months but we are still going strong at almost 11 months. Breastfeeding is definitely easier than bottlefeeding.

    I think the strangest place I have breastfed would have to be either in the dentist office lobby or the hair salon. I'll breastfeed anywhere.

    ReplyDelete