Tuesday, June 07, 2022

#blogjune2022 #junequestions June 6: What have you learned about yourself as the result of the pandemic?

 


As a general rule, I'm a homebody.  I like being at home and doing stuff at home. It's a safe place for me.

Back in 2020 when NZ went into it's first lockdown I burst into tears of relief when the prime minister announced it. This was because the children were still going to school and I was getting increasingly anxious that they would become sick from exposure there or on the bus.

That first lockdown felt like the nation came together and worked to make it safe for our communities.  Yes, it was financially draining for many sectors. For libraries, it felt so strange to be closed at a time when our services would have been very useful - useful but not essential.  As much as library services are loved, we could hardly put ourselves in the same category as supermarkets or medical services. Our front line teams did some redeployment work and we tried to keep ourselves busy with upskilling.  A lot was learned in that first lockdown about how to pivot and what libraries could do to help.

I learned that I do like routine in my day and to feel useful.  Being redeployed to call vulnerable people helped me feel like I was earning my salary. Trying to keep my team busy and upbeat wasn't easy but I think we did ok.

I learned that I can't blame the teenagers for messy house issues. Um.. yeah, I'm a messy being.

The second time we went into lockdown in 2021, we were much more prepared. More people had sorted out their technical set ups and were able to leap into action.  Regular online meetings with the team where were did crazy things like recreate art and movie posters helped to boost our spirits. We managed to eventually offer a click and collect service for libraries and that really helped the team morale. 

I learned that even though I'm a homebody, the very fact we couldn't go away for a holiday, even locally, made me feel trapped and despondent. I was busier in the second lockdown but not as busy as some so why I felt constantly tired and suffused with ennui I don't know.

I learned that I enjoy creating things from scratch like doughnuts, kumara bread from a starter, and growing seeds. Things that take time and that I wouldn't normally do when I'm doing a 40 hour week with a commute and mum taxi-ing. 

I learned that learning te reo is much more rewarding/motivating when you can go to a physical class. Online learning was ok, we did succeed but only 8 people in a class of 15 lasted to the end of the year. We missed doing all our noho and one day wananga in person too.  Our kaiako was brilliant in keeping us on track via the Zoom classes, without her I doubt the 8 of us would have made it.

I learned I still like to play Geoguessr.

No comments:

Post a Comment