Wednesday, June 05, 2019

#blogjune Loved titles

Inevitably I bring you a post about books.

I am not a particularly “literary” librarian. I read what I like to read which varies according to my interests and mood. You can find me on Goodreads (in the sidebar) if you want to see what I’m reading.  I'm exploring a lot more titles from non-white, European backgrounds these days in an attempt to decolonise what I read.

Here are some of my favourite titles from childhood reading.

I don’t recall when I started reading this series (and the Emily series too) but I re-read them over and over for quite a while.


Similar in style to Anne of Green Gables.



I loved this series and must have revisited them a bazillion times. I still love them and the illustrations by Garth Williams.



This mystery series along with The Three Investigators were constant reads for me.  I have a life long love of mystery,  crime and thrillers.



Blyton, (although much maligned by many) was staple fare. The Famous five, Magic Far Away tree, the Children of Cherry Tree Farm. Not the Secret Seven though, I thought they were a bit tame.


This was another series I liked.  I enjoyed books about animals and vets.  James Herriot, Joy Adamson and Gerald Durrell were devoured once I was old enough.

Like other bloggers doing #blogjune, Tintin and Asterix were constantly read too.  In fact, some of the family vocabulary and sayings stem from these.  For example, "could be, could be not, couldn't rightly say" from one of the Asterix books.

Judy Blume was another author I read frequently in my teen years.

Ultimately, I reached the age when I ventured into the Adult section of the library.  My parents never censored what I read and apart from a brief prudish episode in my 15th year when I tried to avoid sexy bits in books, I ranged far and wide through many authors. Leon Uris and James Mitchener were some I remember exploring.  I read Samuel Pepys entire diary from start to finish. I read voraciously, often staying up late after everyone else at turned out the lights, to finish books. I suspect I don't read quite as much as I used to, and these days a very rarely re-read books.  I'm also a lot fussier and will abandon something if it isn't grabbing my attention.

Tell me your childhood favourites!

4 comments:

  1. Baby sitters little sisters 🙂 my own big sister read baby sitters so it was naturally fitting. I then graduated to hers. And a bit cheaper of Teen books with shiny lettering on the spine and front cover. All a bit samey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is like reading my own childhood reading list! Although I never read Willard Price, and was a huge Chalet School fan - I collected those books for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Magic Faraway Tree is my childhood favourite book and Trixie Belden my childhood favourite series. I so wanted to be like Trixie! I still have a lot of the series.

    ReplyDelete