Thursday, June 06, 2019

#blogjune Fermentation


Last year I made sauerkraut. It was a success and I used up a massive cabbage that FIL had given me. I didn’t have any special equipment, just jars, weights and ingredients.

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing some other fermented foods but got busy and didn’t pursue it. I work with someone who makes kombucha so I am interested in doing that. But I also really like things such as kimchi.

Anyway, I am thinking of doing some fermenting this weekend. Of vegetables just to be clear. I may treat myself to a crock just to make it a little easier to deal with. I’ve got yet another book out of the library with recipes to inspire.

There are some excellent purchasable fermented products out there which I like also. But it’s fun to make things yourself sometimes.  It is good for your gut flora.  Apparently it can help your immune system as well as a result. 

Have you tried this style of “cooking” before? Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a "no gadgets" cook. If I can't use a hand beater, knife and grater, it isn't happening. Fermenting things sounds like fun though.

    ReplyDelete