Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Summer Jam

Following Sharon and Hannah's outing to the strawberry farm, I decided we should go too. Of course this was in no way related to the fact I have some strawberry paper and stamps at home. No really.

The kids weren't that enthusiastic pickers to my surprise! But we did get a bucket full - about 1.5 kilo I think. I made 4 jars of strawberry jam and 5 jars of plum+strawberry.


I think the size of the patch was a bit overwhelming for them.


DD is in there up to her armpits! Can you tell she isn't that enthused?

However, they both enjoyed the ice cream we got when we paid for the strawberries. There was also a tractor in the shop that DS played on while I waited in line. He had the idea that he'd get to ride on the tractors that were driving around the farm so was a bit miffed when we walked! "Those are John Deere tractors Mum" he told me.

Here is my pumpkin in the garden with clothes peg for comparison.

Pity the kids don't like pumpkin ;-)

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:23 pm

    oh yum strawberries, I think I need to know where this place is! lol

    I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin pikelets - very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:51 pm

    It's funny, my kids loved picking the berries but weren't fussed on the ice creams! ;-) But they too enjoyed climbing on the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:34 pm

    Seeing your strawberry picking expedition makes me wonder if there is a strawberry patch around here someone. It looks like so much fun and we ALL LOVE strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 pm

    Yum, those strawberries look good ... pity I just found out they are not good for me to eat. Can't wait to see your layout with strawberry paper and stamps. Love the look of that pumpkin too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum, they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, i completely forgot that it is summer on the other side of the world. trying not to feel jealous of your luscious berries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy!

    Never heard of/tried strawberry and plum jam before. Gonna seek some out now.

    We made some plum jam the other day with fruit from our own tree. Well, what was left after the pesky birds had first pickings, lol.

    Hmmm, that strawberry patch looks familiar too (the house roof in the distance).

    Your pumpkin is very impressive too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must scrap those photos! Hmm - not sure if I have strawberry paper. Aren't the icrecreams good though - very healthy I am sure :)
    The pumpkin looks great - I love pumpkin soup and roast pumpkin but I am the only one in house does like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny kids preconceptions of outings. Yum to home grown pumpkin though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:26 pm

    That is so cool - I am so very jealous since the day we showed up at the havelock north picking place was picked out on that day :( Still, something for us to go back and do another time. Yuuuummm pics, those strawberries look so very good.

    ReplyDelete