Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Oldies and Newbies


Got out my crockpot the other day to do some corned beef. My crockpot is not one of these nice new ones with a removable pot. It's an heirloom one that belonged to my grandma! I actually don't know how old it is - she doesn't remember it so I can't check with her. Judging by the colour scheme I suspect it was a 70's purchase. But it goes just fine - an indictment on the appliances these days that are made to last for 10 (max) years. Yes. I'm talking about you Mr F&P Dishdrawer. I hope you are ashamed.

I found these at my produce shop the other day - they are called Earth Gems. At first I thought they would taste like yams, but no! They taste like potatoes, but in a crunchy sort of way. :-) Nice to add to my repertoire of veges.



Hot Chilli Chocolate fans might enjoy this. I discovered it at Naturally Organic when I did an order the other day. It's gooooood. Not for your average hot choc drinker because it's a bit different, but if you like something with a bit of spice, then this could be your new love. I notice that Phoenix have some other options in this range too, including a Hot Toddy. Sounds good.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:12 pm

    Wow, I have never heard of Earth Gems before!! I would really like to try them. Are they only available from organic veggie places??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 pm

    I first saw and purchased the Earth Gems from Ginas in Wellington and love them...a friend and i have used them in a roast vege tart and were great.

    Way to go old appliances...Mum's pressure cooker and blender were around before i was born and going really well....Must be that 70's generation...

    Mmmmm been looking for something spicy and chocolate for a friend's birthday in october so i think we may have found it...thanks Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 pm

    Earthgems.. gotta love that name. I'd like to try some.
    Oh I have to check out that chocolate/chili might be a perfect surprise gift for fathers day. Rainer likes all sorts of interesting and odd thing! Thanks for that:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ding! I've had the crock pot out too this week AND I bought earth gems from Moore Wilsons in Wellington. I actually threw some into a crockpot casserole - they were great. Kids thought they were cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen those Earth gems but they look very cool. We have used the crock pot quite a bit this winter. Useful to have dinner ready after post-school activities. Hmmm and the chocolate looks good - and they are just around the corner....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - what a colorful bunch of veggies those are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny, My crock pot is circa 1970's also! I can tell because of the harvest gold color scheme! The lid just cracked on it, so I have to figure out how to replace it. I don't want a new crockpot because I agree with you that new things don't last as long... speaking of, our old house had a hot water heater that was original to the house (so about 50 yrs old). The plumbers kept wanting me to replace it with a newer model (and a life expectancy of 8-10 yrs). I told them that I wasn't going to mess with a good thing.

    And that cocoa... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! love gems & that hot chili choc looks great! we get our gems from the med market

    ReplyDelete