Friday, June 14, 2019

#blogjune Soap

In my attempts to avoid products with palm oil I have been making my own soap.

It’s been a bit of trial and error. I’ve been using the Soap calc website to make up my concoctions - you can put in how much of each oil you are going to use and it will calculate the proportions for the lye which is really helpful.


Soap in the moulds


Moulds for the soap with lavender flowers sprinkled on the bottom


Lye waiting to cool to the right temperature 

My recipe had olive oil, rice bran oil and coconut oil in it.  I'd like to experiment with some other oils too like macadamia nut oil, though that is quite expensive so I'd only be using a small amount.

Because of the chemistry of soap, getting colour into the soap can be quite tricksy but also rather fun when you get surprising results.

You also have to let it cure for 6-8 weeks at least so planning is required.

I've also done some melt and pour soap which is fun because you can embed things into the soap.  However, it's not palm oil free.

PureNature, a local company is a good source for many of the ingredients I've been using.  But I do tend to buy the oil in bulk from a cheaper source.

My friend Rachel does some beautiful soaps which you can see on her Instagram.  I aspire to these!  But need more moulds and lye and colours.  Oh dear. Online shopping is such temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment