Tuesday, March 20, 2012

In which I felt a Nyan cat hat

One of the young librarians at work is participating in Shave so I decided to make her a hat to cover her head in the cooler weather coming up.

Because we often joke about internet memes, I decided to make a hat based on one of them.  Nyan cat seemed to be one with a lot of scope. 

I made a rainbow pre-felt first.  This was my first attempt at pre-felt so I was a bit nervous about getting it right.  I used the resist I made for my head size with the idea that both J and I have large heads.

I made Nyan cat out of Fimo.  I had originally thought of making it as a button but I forgot to make holes before baking the polymer clay so it ended up as a brooch.


I used some roving Mum had got for me in Rotorua - I'm not sure what sort it it, it appears to have a longer fibre length than merino, but it felts in a very similar way.


The fibre felted nice and thick so the structural folds hold beautifully.









J liked it very much!

5 comments:

  1. That looks awesome Penny....what a great hat and I love the brooch. BTW am sending you some happy mail tomorrow.....keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! You are so clever. Love the rainbow part of the hat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay ... so maybe you need to come back to Wellington to give me hat lessons! Love the rainbow look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute - it's been said before but... you really are clever!

    ReplyDelete