Rules: Once you've been tagged, you can write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged.
1. I usually ignore requests on Facebook that involve applications been added to my profile and that access my information plus my friend's information. Don't be offended if I do, it's nothing personal.
Case in point: the Duck Man
"I want to cook a beautiful recipe with [the duck] to celebrate it's life, and to give [the duck] a good send off" he said.
I made some affirming noises while trying to supress my hysterical laughter inside. He was concerned about the duck's girlfriend because "they mate for life you know" and he'd had to hide the body because the GF duck was wandering around calling for her partner. I wasn't so sure that ducks actually did mate for life as such but refrained from commenting. Meantime, I'd pulled up a few appropriate books for the man and wrote down some numbers.
"So, here are some call numbers where you'll find books for duck recipes. Do you want to pick them out yourself or shall I take you there?" I asked. He gave a sheepish smile and asked me to show him where they were. So off we go to the shelves - one brisk, librarian followed by one wiggly, inebriated Duck Man.
"You're really nice," he said, "Do you have to work here all night? Would you like to go for coffee or something?"
"Um.. yeah" I said, the aforementioned hysterics threatening to emerge again. "I have to stay here, but thanks anyway."
We reached the shelves and I found the cook books. "Here you go," I said, attempting to hand the man the books, "Try looking in the index for duck and see what you find."
It rapidly became obvious that using an index was the class he missed at school so I found some recipes for him and set them on the floor for him to browse. I quickly escaped to desk only to discover him following me back!
So I endured another half and hour of the Duck man's life story. How he was going to have a hangi for his neighbours and invite all the kids too (but "we're not having alcohol you know"), and "I live in a great nieghbourhood, we're just like family! Do you live in a great neighbourhood? Where do you live?" I gesture vaguely, up the hill somewhere. Finally he decided his duck recipe would be the one I originally suggested (one involving peaches, cardamon and long stewing) so he copied it down with my pencil and some paper I gave him. Off he went, somewhat happier I think and with profuse thanks.
Some days I love my job. Seriously - I'm not being sarcastic. I mean, where else could you help someone in sorrow, get hit on in a non-threatening way and have the person leave happier than when they arrive?
3. My favourite colours are green, red and some blues. But green has the edge.
4. I had chicken pox when I was 35.
5. I don't really like other people helping me in the kitchen unless it's my sisters, Dad, or my friends Nel, Anne or Gail. It's nothing personal. I have things mapped in my mind and I like to do it my way. But you're welcome to come and talk to me while I do it.
6. I like to nuture people with food. Come to my house and I will want to feed you. But I'm hopeless at tidiness at home.
7. When I was learning "running writing" (cursive) my Dad commented that my g-ma had very nice writing so I wanted to imitate her. I still like writing copperplate style and using fountain pens.
8. I have a photic sneeze response.
9. I don't get the Vampire thing. Kinda glad Twilight didn't get voted onto the book list. ;-) Sorry gals!
10. I like music but I'm not a music listener as such. I prefer quietness.
11. I hated going to sleep as a kid. I could even sleep standing up. My daughter appears to have inherited this. Bother.
12. I used to be a night owl but now I pay for it if I don't get a good night sleep.
13. I love kitchen, fabric, scrapbooking and foodie stores. But I dislike clothes shopping.
14. I'm mostly a live by the rules person - maybe because I'm the first born? I always dismount at pedestrian crossings when I'm on my bike. But some library rules are stupid so at work I'm not often the one who is laying down the law.
15. I want to make plum sauce tonight.
16. I wish I knew more about some scripting languages related to web work, plus stuff about how to make database driven websites. But I can't seem to learn from those huge books we've got in the collection. I need a class or something.
17. I like my bamboo underpants. I also like my undies with banana prints on them. They are my happy pants.
18. I craved salty things when pregnant with my son and sweet things when pregnant with my daughter.
19. I sometimes dream I'm speaking fluent French.
20. My school calculator still works.
21. I have a collection of kina skeletons in a range of sizes.
22. I'm dreading my kids being teenagers. I don't "get" teenagers. I hope I grow into it.
23. I love the feel of clean sheets.
24. I like the smell of freshly cut grass.
25. There is a monarch caterpillar chrysalis hanging from my outside water tap.
Not tagging anyone. But if you really want to and feel left out, please consider yourself tagged.